Forum 5

Why steering feel disconnected a speed?

Hello All.

What is the reason that when I go over 110km/hr- 120km/hr the steering sort of becomes very light and feels very disconnected?  seems like driving on water and really not safe...apart that it shakes like hell...but that is probably the arms rubber gone.

Thanks.

I would say get your control arms replaced and get wheel alignment (or at least front tracking) done. At least then you can eliminate wheel alignment and control arms to be at fault.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ray112 said:

I would say get your control arms replaced and get wheel alignment (or at least front tracking) done. At least then you can eliminate wheel alignment and control arms to be at fault.

Wheel balancing and alignment done a few months back but didn’t solve the issue unfortunately 😞 

I find this when the car isn't weighted during alignment, the weights are there to mimic downforce, so it becomes unstable at high speed. I can sit at 150 and its solid as a rock.

Of course, good control arms play a big part as well.

not sure what i can do anymore....apart from changing the arms which i am not sure it is worth doing on the car as it will cost for sure £500 for lemforders.  Value of the car is now low after 16 years...  

Tires are almost new as well, it sits on Falkens FK520.

I guess only you can weigh up the cost / benefit but yes repairs be a significant proportion of value but depends on what the car is worth to you.

Unless you are in position to replace with something newer and fresher any "new" car will likley chuck a bill or two.

If you had no plans to replace then i'd say its worth the cost.

• Like 1

Well I would spend them but i am sort of afraid that it will not cure the problem….the thing is that i drive it every day and its becoming an annoying to drive.  Wheel shaking when driving and braking…etc…and i did change everything already and it didn’t cure the problem (except arms etc..)

16 hours ago, Tallman85 said:

Wheel shaking when driving and braking…etc…and i did change everything already and it didn’t cure the problem (except arms etc..)

Defo bushes on lower arms gone.

Lemforder arms can be had quite cheaply from Autodoc and can be changed over in a morning on the driveway. 

DSCN0053.jpg

Do the wheel bearing at the same time while you are in there as it all needs to come apart again to do the bearing, 

Unfortunately autodoc don’t ship anymore to here…but i found a german website 

well to be honest i am not sure i am able to do it myself…even more the bearing.  But should you change the bearing at just 100k miles? 

58 minutes ago, Tallman85 said:

Unfortunately autodoc don’t ship anymore to here…but i found a german website 

well to be honest i am not sure i am able to do it myself…even more the bearing.  But should you change the bearing at just 100k miles? 

Bearings a maintenance option. I've only had to change a couple due to noise in all the cars I've had here, and yes I did mine when I did the front end refresh way back when I got the car.

You can as an alternative buy the bushes to press into the arms if you wanted to keep costs down. Not even expensive, around £50 for all 4.

Thanks @Gonzo - that is attractive just to change the bushes but i dont have a press anyways plus to take all that work to take them off i think it would be a pity not change them since ball joint will remain old as well.  I will see depending on the appetite to keep the car…which i am not sure what car can i buy with its money value.

@Gonzo et all;

Another question- lately when i suddenly press the breaks, i will feel a knock in the steering wheel and it sorts give you a knock by turning slightly.

is this a symptom of the control arms? Or the wishbones?  

cos i am thinking doing it in stages, that is first i do the control arms and if it fixes, i do the wishbones. 

thanks.

42 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

The only wishbones on the rear, it's going to be front arms.

I mean which one?  I was thinking to start with number 1 to tackle all the mentioned issues?  

IMG_9456.thumb.jpeg.474b4b127bd551661344a2dfc7e61509.jpeg

Wobble when braking is usually caused by wornout bushings in control arms nr1. But noise you just mention can be any ball joint, even track rod ends or steering knuckles, so better get them all parts check over before wheel decide to go away while driving. 

2 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

Wobble when braking is usually caused by wornout bushings in control arms nr1. But noise you just mention can be any ball joint, even track rod ends or steering knuckles, so better get them all parts check over before wheel decide to go away while driving. 

Thx @Ray112

so far no noises- it is more a steering knock is sense of force rather than noise - the pull on the steering…. I mean.  

42 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

You change all 4 mate, waste of time doing just 2 of the 4

@Gonzo my man, i know what you mean. 
However if you find a maltese woman knocking your door with a pitbull behaviour…that would be my wife 😂

• Haha 2

On 26/05/2024 at 08:29, Gonzo said:

The only wishbones on the rear, it's going to be front arms.

Or track rod ends. 

There are a total of 3 ball joints connecting to he hub at the front (if you exclude the ARB droplinks). Any one of the ball joint can knock on wheel to ration. 

I had no knock before changing the front arm bush and the bearings and the drop links and now I have a knock on rotating the wheel whilst static or going slowly over uneven ground but all the joints have been checked three times that are tight to spec and even Fat setting. Go figure lol

On 26/05/2024 at 10:10, Tallman85 said:

@Gonzo my man, i know what you mean. 
However if you find a maltese woman knocking your door with a pitbull behaviour…that would be my wife 😂

... holding onto your wallet saying you telling him to buy more bloody parts?!?!? 

That's pretty much all wife's, ask me how I know. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Humour said:

... holding onto your wallet saying you telling him to buy more bloody parts?!?!? 

That's pretty much all wife's, ask me how I know. 

...and pointing the finger in the face while telling him 😁

Edited by Tallman85

Do the bushes as Gonzo suggested and do all 4 control arms. If you go poly bush like I suggested you can reuse them when the ball joint die and the arm needs replacing. 

If you don't want that hassle, just buy new arms and be done with it, but from what I hear, buying cheap arms is bad economy, as is having them fitted by somebody who doesn't know the torquing procedure, a poor mechanic can ruin your new arms in a hurry. 

Not so much an issue with poly because they rotate around a centre sleeve unlike the OE rubber ones.

I regret not doing the rear arms at the same time I did the front but I had allot of other expenses on car parts at the time so had to prioritise. I will be getting strknflex ones pressed into the rear arms soon. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Humour said:

Do the bushes as Gonzo suggested and do all 4 control arms. If you go poly bush like I suggested you can reuse them when the ball joint die and the arm needs replacing. 

If you don't want that hassle, just buy new arms and be done with it, but from what I hear, buying cheap arms is bad economy, as is having them fitted by somebody who doesn't know the torquing procedure, a poor mechanic can ruin your new arms in a hurry. 

Not so much an issue with poly because they rotate around a centre sleeve unlike the OE rubber ones.

I regret not doing the rear arms at the same time I did the front but I had allot of other expenses on car parts at the time so had to prioritise. I will be getting strknflex ones pressed into the rear arms soon. 

Yes yes, i will change all 4 amrs new.  That is for sure.  What i am torn is choosing between lemforder or the Meyle complete set.

and I will try to do them myself as I dont trust mechanics anymore…the goal is to get work not to fix forever! 

2 hours ago, Tallman85 said:

Yes yes, i will change all 4 amrs new.  That is for sure.  What i am torn is choosing between lemforder or the Meyle complete set.

and I will try to do them myself as I dont trust mechanics anymore…the goal is to get work not to fix forever! 

to answer your DM at the same time, Lemforder have been on that car from new 😉

• Confused 1