Forum 5

Steering wheel upgrade options..

StevieT

Hi, I’m looking into replacing the standard steering wheel in my jan’06 built 530i SE. I like the look of the three spoke wheel in the M-sport models but without the badging. There appears to be such a wheel found as standard in the range (see pic) but I’m not sure which ones would be compatible with my car. Are there any ways to check without removing my current wheel and looking at the back of it?

3D275AC0-5DF3-4A99-9BF3-8224688A99E5.jpeg

• 1 month later...

From what I have read elsewhere online, there are two types of wheel fitment, pre and post LCI.

Your car is a pre LCI, so you should aim for an pre LCI msport car. 

Can't help any further from a technical perspective. I speculate that the wheels without the msport badge are pre LCI, and the one with are LCI, but dont hold me to account on that one. Also ask the vendor selling the wheel about suitability. 

Edited by Humour

It isn't pre and post LCI its Key or fob ignition that decides the wheel, 2005 saw the swap to fob based before LCI came out.

The wheel in the picture isn't the M sport wheel, it's one of the SE options.

M sport is thicker and has the 2 thumb rests like this one 

ORIGINAL BMW E60 M Sport Steering wheel (Key Start), Auto Accessories on  Carousell

• Like 1

Thanks for clearing that up, I’m not after an M-sport wheel, my cars a 55 plate SE, with the square remote type key, so I guess that any of the later wheels (without flappy paddles) will fit? Plenty about without airbags, where’s best to get a new airbag to go into a used wheel?

There's 3 different types. SE, Sport and M Sport.

Stevie the one you posted up is the Sport one. M Sport only differs slightly as mentioned.

Only thing you need to watch is the mountings are different from 03-05 and from late 05 onwards.

What year is your car?