Forum 5

Thinking mine might need a regas. I’ve no idea when it was last done by the previous owner and now the weather is a bit warmer it feels cool coming out of the vents, but not cold, cant say I really noticed last summer….

how are your guys cars, is the air that comes out decently cold or just cool too?

I guess given the age it’s the cheaper R134a gas needed?

Similar experience here.

One hot day, return to car at end of day and it takes an age to cool down. Been looking at manual cans with R134a to recharge the system which still seems to deliver cold air but its not as good as my wife's Leaf.

I played a little this morning on the drive, and compared to the missus 2019 Tiguan which has had its Air Con serviced as per VW schedule.  Hers is a touch cooler.  Mine is still cold enough to make my hands cold so seems to be fine.

What I did note is the rear seems to be coldest, then the drivers side almost as cold, but the front passenger side (side vent and half of the middle vent) is noticably not as cool as the other zones.

Anyway - don't deem a regas necessary just yet!   I'll wait until the hotter weather arrives and see if its not up to it and if so sort then.

Yeah could be - I did do my testing with both cars set to max AC just to feel each ones maximum cooling.  In normal AC/climate it will vary in order to keep set temp, so not as simple as cars without climate and AC is either on or off 🙂

On the old forum there was considerable posts about this.

There was as some say a silent recall on the condensers.  My dads F10 got done and so did mine under warranty.

If you complained to the dealer that your air con wasn't cold enough they would whip in a new condenser.

You need to take the front cross brace off...

...to get to the condenser to replace it and when you buy replacement stretch bolts, the one I'm pointing too...

IMG_1844.jpg

...the parts receipt actually call them air conditioning bolts as that's why they are needed! 

It is a serviceable thing so a periodic recharge with the correct gas and oil will keep things working.  Also using it regularly will help keep everything lubricated and stop the seals drying out.  My A/C is on all the time all year round.

Posted (edited)

The Aircon fraternity refer the the DIY things as 'DIY Death Cans'... if your aircon isn't warm enough the system should be properly checked before being refilled with the correct charge of gas and oil. Those cans can end up overpressuring a system, leaking gas onto the user (nasty injuries), discharging gas into the atmosphere (offence) or whatever else. Not worth the risk.

When I did both of my Senators I had the local guy degas the system, then I replaced the condensers (very common they leak along lower edge due to road debris damage) then I had the guy pressure/vacuum test my work before refilling. Not expensive and you know it's all good.

Edited by HandyAndy
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andrew/all

I have booked mine in for Monday at a garage to undertake a leak check. I had it re-gassed a couple of months ago (because of no air-con!). It was diagnosed as 'empty' but when re-gassed as holding pressure (clearly in real time) but the aircon now, following a trip at the weekend, doesn't work...

I hope that the leak diagnosis will pin-point where the leak is. 

The reference to historic discussions on this suggest that there could be useful info on how to replace leaking parts, eg condenser or pipe-work.

Please do you have a link or advice on how to do this?

Thanks in advance

David